Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
Continued Competency
Share |
Effective February 13, 2013, to renew your registration as an Occupational Therapist or Occupational Therapy Assistant, New York State Education Law requires completion of 36 contact hours of approved continuing competency within each three-year renewal period. However, these requirements will be phased in during the first three years, therefore, only requiring one-half hour of continuing competency for each month beginning in March 2013 through February 2016, for those registrants whose three-year renewal period falls within this time frame. Commencing with March 2016, registrants will be required to complete the full 36 hours of continuing competency. The complete standards for continuing competency for Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants can be found in section 76.10 of the Commissioner's Rules and Regulations.

What is the Continuing Competency Requirement?

Effective February 13, 2013, to renew your registration as an occupational therapist and occupational therapy assistant, New York State Education Law requires the completion of 36 hours of continuing education during each 3-year registration period. However, if your renewal date falls between 3/1/13 through 1/31/16, you will only be required to complete a portion of the required competency hours. Please see pro-rate chart below.

Please Note: A licensee seeking registration as both an occupational therapist AND occupational therapy assistant must complete a total of 72 hours in compliance with the requirements for both registrations.

In order to be approved by the Department, organizations offering coursework or training to licensed occupational therapists or occupational therapy assistants must meet the following criteria:

A sponsor of coursework or training that is approved by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT), or the New York State Occupational Therapy Association (NYSOTA), or the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), or an equivalent organization as determined by the Department.

*from the office of the professions website*

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal